It is vital that you are very relaxed before attempting any Astral Travel. Check out my previous note (006. Relaxation Techniques) on the best way of doing this if you are in any doubt.
What is Astral Travel?
Astral travel has its roots in many beliefs from the Western world through to Ancient Egypt, India and China.
For a moment, let us take time out to talk about the soul. It is a difficult concept for many people and so often tied up with religion. I would like to stress that whilst religion could be good for some people it is not my personal way.
The soul for me is the breath of life; it is what makes us the unique individuals that we all are.
In the same way, if we look at the image we can see that nature is all encompassing and growing. It tells us that we can constantly change and move to new directions.
Astral Travel is about a personal and spiritual growth allowing a person to be connected to themselves, others and also the after-life. Letting the ‘consciousnesses’ or soul's journey or "ascent" have an out of body experience (OOBE). The spiritual traveller leaves the physical body and travels in his/her dream body or often known as the subtle or astral body into ‘higher’ realms."
Allowing your innate essence to use this projection technique will give you a “Here-Now” projection. This is also known as etheric projection.
Through consistent inner development and working on your energy flow, you will be able to use in real time different durations of projection.
To use Astral Travel techniques, a deep level of relaxation is required, essentially putting you into a trance state. Once you have reached this deep inner level, then using your powers of creative visualisation will allow you to imagine you floating upwards out of your body. Tell yourself all the time how nice it is to do this, how pleasant, how great it would be to be floating out of your body. Continue to image this floating feeling.
After a relatively short while you will feel yourself come free of the physical body. This is often quite a sudden sensation as the non-physical body breaks free of the physical body. The only analogy I can think of as to describe this feeling would be how a 'glob' in a lava lamp would feel like - it's been trying to go up for a while and the pressure has been gradually getting greater, and then suddenly it breaks away and floats gently up and away. You will then find yourself outside your physical body.
The Roll Out Method
A common variation on the Astral Travel technique is the roll out method.
This is very similar, except that instead of imagining that you are floating upward, imagine that you are rolling sideways out of your body. Feel yourself gently rocking from side to side. Very slowly at first, but gradually building the momentum until eventually you will reach that critical point where you will actually break free from, and actually roll out of, your physical body.
Then you are free to travel. Go to places that you are familiar with until you are more experienced. Should something bother you, or you are not at ease with a place just return to your body.
Finally, grounding and returning to your physical body is paramount. Let’s look at the image again. If were in a dream state then we may have dreamed the trees, but with Astral Travel it is different. The stones would be our earthly body but in a state of Astral Travel our voyage would have been to the clouds and back. So to ensure that we are fully grounded again gently open your eyes and perhaps take some time to collate your thoughts about the journey that you have made. See what it has meant for you and ask yourself....Do the stones look the same or different?
I think there can’t be a more relaxing place than on a beach, watching and listening to the water.
Clients always ask me why I need to do relaxation techniques. For psychic work, it is very important to be able to relax so that you can leave this plane of existence for the astral world so that they will be able to assist me with healings. Any tension in the body will mean that it will make it almost impossible to astral travel.
I always advise clients not to drink caffeine for about two hours before relaxation. Caffeine tends to keep you alert, speed up your body making it and you ready for action, which is counter to ensuring inner calm and peace. That sense of calm and relaxation is fundamental to the work that needs to be completed.
So how do we get to that state of deep relaxation? I hope that the following well being guide will step you through that process so that you can discover it for yourself.
15 Steps to Inner Calm
I often say to my clients that if they want to do this for themselves then they should take some time out to talk these steps into a recording device so that they can hear their own external voice enabling them to connect to their inner voice. It is not necessary if you do not have such a thing but until you get used to doing this it can be a good way of starting the process.
So here goes....
1. Lie on your back, close your eyes.
2. Feel your feet. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and sink into the bed. Start with your toes and progress to your ankles.
3. Feel your knees. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
4. Feel you upper legs and thighs. Feel their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
5. Feel your abdomen and chest. Sense your breathing. Consciously will them to relax. Deepen your breathing slightly and feel your abdomen and chest sink into the bed.
6. Feel your buttocks. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
7. Feel your hands. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
8. Feel your upper arms. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
9. Feel your shoulders. Sense their weight. Consciously relax them and feel them sink into the bed.
10. Feel your neck. Sense its weight. Consciously relax it and feel it sink into the bed.
11. Feel your head and skull. Sense its weight. Consciously relax it and feel it sink into the bed.
12. Feel your mouth and jaw. Consciously relax them. Pay particular attention to your jaw muscles and unclench them if you need to. Feel your mouth and jaw relax and sink into the bed.
13. Feel your eyes. Sense if there is tension in your eyes. Sense if you are forcibly closing your eyelids. Consciously relax your eyelids and feel the tension slide off the eyes.
14. Feel your face and cheeks. Consciously relax them and feel the tension slide off into the bed.
15. Mentally scan your body. If you find any place that is still tense, then consciously relax that place and let it sink into the bed.
Once you have entered this state of deep relaxation, it will allow you to continue to be relaxed so that you can work either with your client or just attaining a deep sense of well-being for yourself.
Nevertheless, please make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time to get back in touch with your every day plane, but in leaving it you should be feeling more connected and refreshed.
I suppose on reflection, I like to think of it as going for a great dip down at the sea. It is great to get in and feel the vibrant water, but always good to come back out of it to the beach for a chat with our friends or loved ones.
Psychic Medium Neels Els